Data Collection and Processing
Upon installing, running or using the Services, the following information is collected and processed:
- Mobile Device Data – The MMM technology, which was developed for travel survey purposes, uses the sensors in your mobile device to collect GPS, GSM, Wi-Fi, accelerometer and cell tower data from your mobile device in order to ascertain your location throughout the survey period. This information is used to create an online map and activity diary that you interact with to provide MMM with information about your daily trips and activities for survey purposes. The online map and activity diary generated from this data will only be made available to you, members of your household to whom you give permission, and those of MMM’s personnel and of third parties who are directly involved with the administration of the applicable survey. Your mobile device will also provide MMM with specific information, such as hardware model, web browser version, battery performance, language, operating system, service provider and phone number. We may need to associate your device-specific information with your Personal Information on a periodic basis in order to confirm you as a user and to check the security on your device.
- User Provided Information – In order to utilize MMM’s technology, you must provide MMM with certain information. For example, when registering to use the technology, you may be asked to select a username and create a password, to verify your home location or submit other frequently visited locations, or provide your email address so that we can contact you if you need to reset your password. At no time will MMM require you to provide sensitive Personal Information, such as social security or national ID number, drivers’ license number or financial account numbers.
- Direct Communication with MMM – The content of any direct communication you have with MMM, whether by email or otherwise, is collected and may be stored.
- Third party provided information – MMM may receive data about you or your household from the survey sponsor or from a third party that has been engaged to recruit individuals or households to participate in the survey. We also at times utilize third party analytics providers that may employ an advertising identifier provided by Google Play services.
- Information from Cookies -- Like many other websites, the Website gathers and stores certain information automatically. When you visit our Website, we may send one or more "cookies" to your computer or other device to provide us with information relating to the sources of our site traffic. Cookies are small pieces of information that some websites store on your computer's hard drive when you visit them. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but allow you to modify security settings so that you can approve or reject cookies on a case-by-case basis. If you do not wish to receive cookies, you should change the settings on your web browser.
How Your Information is Used
We upload your data to our server over a secure connection and process it on a backend server. In processing your data, we make inferences about your modes of travel and your stops and present you with an activity diary on our web interface. We then ask you to review and modify your data if necessary, as well as fill in some additional information about your travel and activities. Transportation and urban planners use your households’ information in combination with many other households’ information to better understand travel and activity patterns and needs, and to improve the options available to you.
MMM may use contact information you choose to provide to contact you via email, phone or text message about the survey administration, provided we are permitted by law to send communications to you and you have not otherwise opted-out of receiving them. We may also use your contact information to provide you administrative communications from time to time.
Email communications that you send to us via the email links on our Website may be shared with an employee, expert or agent that is most able to address your issue. Internet email is inherently insecure, as any given email may be sent via multiple third party computers, some of which can make a copy of the contents with no detection possible. Because of this lack of security, it is possible that your email communication may be accessed or viewed by another Internet user while in transit to MMM. If you wish to keep your communication completely private, do not correspond with MMM via email.
We may engage or be engaged by a survey sponsor, third party intermediaries and partners to perform certain services and functions related to a survey administration. In addition to our engagement, the survey sponsor may also engage third parties to perform certain functions in connection with the survey, such as to recruit participants, administer the survey or to provide helpdesk assistance to survey participants. We make your data available to these other entities only as needed to perform their functions and for no other purposes.. All of the survey data is provided to the survey sponsor.
For some survey administrations, the survey system may be set up in such a way that other household members could have access to another household member’s data on the Website. No other survey participants outside of your household would be able to access your data.
Further, MMM may disclose Personal Information to the extent permitted or required by applicable law, including:
- As required by applicable statute, regulation, rule or law, a subpoena, a search warrant, a court or regulatory order, or other legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- With our service providers who work on our behalf and have agreed to adhere to the sharing, disclosure and protection of Personal Information as set forth in this Policy.
Notwithstanding our commitment to take commercially reasonable measures to protect your information (including Personal Information) from loss, misuse or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information over the Internet. There is also some risk that others could find a way to thwart or hack our security systems. As a result, while we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security and privacy of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Please remember that you also play a valuable part in data security. You should never share your password with anyone. If you feel your password has been compromised, you should change your password immediately. After you have finished using our Website, you should log out of your account and exit your browser so that no unauthorized persons can access your account.
Data Retention and Managing Your Information
MMM will retain all de-identified user provided and automatically collected data indefinitely for research purposes. We will also retain your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
You may opt-out of using the MMM technology at any time. However, if you do so, you may not be fulfilling the requirements of the survey you have agreed to participate in and may not, therefore, be eligible for incentives that may be offered as part of that survey.
To opt-out of the technology, you may do one or more of the following:
- Log out of the application on your phone via the “logout” screen. This will discontinue all data collection until such time as you log back in.
- Uninstall or delete the MMM application from your mobile device.
- If you are using a logger to participate in the survey, rather than a phone, turn off the logger.
- In addition to the measures above, you may contact MMM with an “opt-out request” at email@example.com. We will comply with all such requests.
For international users located outside of the United States
Given that the Internet operates in a global environment and that transfer of your data is necessary to process your registration and use of the Website and the Services, to provide updates, and to respond to your inquiries, using the Internet to collect and process Personal Information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international, or cross-border, basis. By signing up for or using the Website or the Services, and/or by communicating with us by email, you acknowledge and expressly consent to our processing and disclosure of your Personal Information in this way.
Please be aware that the information MMM collects, including Personal Information, may be transferred to, and processed, stored and used in the United States according to the laws of the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may differ from those of the country in which you are located, and your Personal Information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts and law enforcement in the United States according to the laws of the United States.
Amendments to Policy
Contact us about questions, comments, complaints, notices or disputes
If you have a question, comment, complaint or a problem, or if you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated and effective as of March 19, 2019.